The sky has not been clear in a good while… clouds, smoke, haze, the full Moon, and some work travel have not allowed me do do any EAA in the last few weeks, the last EAA session I had was back in the beginning of June. The scope is safely stored in the Astroshed until the forecast improves. I volunteered to create the observing list for the Cloudy Night’s July 2023 EAA Observing Challenge and I am looking forward to getting out and looking up.
Here is the observing list I put together for the July 2023 EAA Challenge:
In the constellation Cepheus
Challenge Objects: NGC 6951, NGC 7510, Iris Nebula (NGC 7023)
- Barred spiral galaxy NGC 6951 – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NGC_6951
- Open Cluster NGC 7510 – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NGC_7510
- Reflection Nebula NGC 7023 – The Iris Nebula – https://en.wikipedia…iki/Iris_Nebula
In constellation Vulpecula
Challenge Objects: NGC 6813, Brocchi’s Cluster/Coathanger (Collinder 399/Cr 399), NGC 7080
- Planetary Nebula NGC 6813 – https://theskylive.com/sky/deepsky/ngc6813-object
- Brocchi’s Cluster, Collinder 399 or Cr 399, an asterism also known as the Coathanger – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brocchi%27s_Cluster
This one should be fairly easy with some nice blue and yellow stars.
- Barred spiral galaxy NGC 7080 – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NGC_7080
In constellation of Cygnus
Challenge Objects: Pelican Nebula (IC 5067/IC 5070), NGC 6914
- Emission Nebula – The Pelican Nebula or IC 5067 and IC 5070 – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelican_Nebula
I have tried this one a couple of times… might as well have another go at it. Would love to see what others are able to see…
- Reflection Nebula NGC 6914 – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NGC_6914
Most of these challenge objects are new to me. I have only observed the Pelican Nebula and the Iris Nebula before… hoping I get a clear sky soon so I can have a look at a few of the others.
Stop by the Cloudy Night’s July 2023 EAA Observing Challenge post and share your EAA captures of this month’s challenge objects.
Clear skies and happy hunting.